3/4/09

THANKS DADDY!!!!!

You know the feeling when things just seem to catch up on you and suddenly everything is chaotic? Well...that's how I've been feeling lately. On some days, I just feel so low and at one point I could have broke down real hard. I tend to be hard on myself. I have always been in control of the things happening to me. Its just me...




Maybe that's why the Lord gave me a husband who is just as calm as I am chaotic. He's a breakwater - tempering the strong waves of my soul. I know being the human that Carl is, he is divine in being patient with my chaotic soul on many occasions.







Life is great...especially when you look at it through clear glass. But when your sight is blurred with things you think are important when in fact they are minute insignificant motes, life becomes a different story. Lately, I've been looking at life that way...




My husband has a gift of discernment. He knows when something wrong is going on inside me even when I don't say anything. And I am not that good at keeping my feelings to myself either. I may not say anything, but my silence says a lot - especially because silence on my part is rare. Carl probably noticed I've been busying myself in the kitchen more often than usual. I open the fridge, stare at it, then close it...just to go through the same routine a couple of minutes later. Cooking is my "destressor" because it is one of the few things I am in total control of - its my way of giving myself the feeling of being on top of things.




Here's me "Destressing"



To help me "breathe," my husband takes me to walks in the afternoons when he comes home early. Sometimes, he'll ask me to stop anything that I'm doing and have me lie down beside him and he'll give me a tight hug - then silence. There's a lot of simple things he does. The other day, he brought me a small packet of M&Ms - I was overjoyed. Everytime we go to the grocery, before we go to the line to pay for our stuff, Carl always asks me to pick something I really like just for myself. Sometimes I trade that off for something I want for us but is not on the grocery list, but usually I grab a bag of Tostitos. When he knows I've had a rough day, he'd offer to do the dishes even when it not his turn. He lets me watch Food Network until I fall asleep after a long day's work. Carl spoils me with the simplest little things.




A couple of weeks ago, Carl dragged me to see a musical. I say DRAGGED because I was not in the mood to get out of the house. I wanted to cook and play in the kitchen and experiment with my hands and taste buds. When I was finally convinced that I might really need to do something else aside from pots and pans, I agreed to go with him and our sister Jasmine to see the musical. We got there and it already started, around 10 minutes into the first act. The venue was full packed and the line for tickets is very long. At that point, I was decisively convinced - THIS MUSICAL WAS A MUST SEE.







We decided to buy tickets for the following night's show. The musical was an adaptation of Seussical by the BYU-Hawaii Fine Arts Department. We arrived at the auditorium at around 10 minutes before the show started, and it was already full. We got our seats and saved one for Jasmine (who came in later)... and then the lights dimmed and the show was on!




I couldn't take photos or video while the show was on... but even if i could have, i might not have the time to work with my camera because I was so caught up with the actors, the songs, the antics, and fun memories of watching Horton Hears Who (the movie) with great friends about a year ago. When Horton said his famous "people are people no matter how small," i couldn't help but drop a tear from my eye. I am real cry baby when I get so involved with what I watch, but this was the first time I became emotional while watching a musical. I remembered seeing a lot of kids in the audience before the show started... And then it hit me. For the most part, life's greatest lessons are taught when we're young...and sometimes, because of all the things that preoccupies our adult lives - we forget the most important lessons we have been taught. I guess that realization hit me real hard... There I was, a young adult struggling to be mature enough to start a family of my own... and yet I still have the need to be constantly reminded of the simple yet valuable life's essentials.




All in all, I think I both needed and deserved the chance to see Seussical. I needed to be a little kid again to be reminded "How Lucky (You) Are!", that "Everything's Possible", and I am not "Alone in the Universe." Thanks Dr. Seuss!




And most of all...Thanks Daddy!

4 comments:

  1. love the post..sometimes there are points in our lives when we feel really down and we couldn't see the silverline because its too blurry..but your husband is a wise man, that's what husband is for to be our constant lifter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's a Filipina thing to just be "silent/quiet" when there's something wrong! I do it all the time and it drives Micah nuts!
    You guys are a great couple and you compliment each other!
    BTW, I love Dr. Seuss! There's always wisdom behind his stories!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet husband! I'm glad you found my blog. And yes, I want more lumpia!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet husband! :) I ALWAYS do the dishes! :P But it's okay because Jesse's busy enough with work and school to be doing house chores when I can do it myself (plus, I'm a stay-home wife!)...
    I tend to keep quiet, too, when I am upset and it drives Jesse nuts when he asks me what's wrong and I say, "wala lang!"... He'd rather have me talk right on the spot & I'd rather be mellow first before talking.. :P
    If pots and pans were your "destressors", mine's with household chemicals (especially bathroom cleaners), broom and dustpan, and wet rug! I'm trying to lay low with the chemicals, though, FOR NOW... :P
    I wish I've seen the musical.. I think Jesse's been too busy lately & I've been locking myself up at home too much that we don't know what's going on in BYUH anymore, unless there's a basketball game... :P

    ReplyDelete