3/18/09

ITS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR...AGAIN

One thing that BYU-H does to sort of celebrate the rich cultural diversity that we have is the ANNUAL CULTURE NIGHT(s). When I first got here in 2006, I was pretty excited about it. Seriously, I haven't been folk dancing for a while since I graduated from High School and so it was a real hit to me!




In the Fall of 2006, the Filipino Club presented
Tinikling and Pandanggo sa Ilaw

Leah and Mike dancing Tinikling


This is when people start really clapping hard!
(Leah & Mike with ate Dolour & kuya Thelmo behind them - this is really back in the day!)




Pandanggo sa Ilaw Dancers

The Guru and I - yay for Shey!



Carl and I - this was our very first Culture Night



In 2007, BYUHSA decided to move the culture night to Winter.


So in the Winter of 2008, the Filipino Club prepared
Maglalatik and an Igorot Dance.
We also a choreographed a dance to the tune of
Filipino artist Joey Ayala's "Magkaugnay".




Emerson leading the boys






Maglalatik dancers



Liahona leading the girls


The Igorot Dance - one of my most favorite performances ever!



To manong Joey Ayala - Magkaugnay (nice moves Jemar!)
click here to view the performance




I thought I was done with Culture Night because I already graduated from BYU-H in June 2008. But since Carl and I are still staying on campus because he's finishing a couple more semesters, I decided I'll dance once last time. For the love (wink*)!


We've been so used to "chaotic" rehearsals but we are famous for outstanding performances. One rehearsal night, I took pictures to show you folks how we "prepare" for awesome performances.

Our beloved BAMBOOS




People arrive one by one (literally) -
you even have to call them (thanks Andrew!)




The calm before the riot
(April and Juna - true young blood!)



The veterans pass it on to the young blood (right Ckaz?!)



Irish and Mhertz jumping on bamboo sticks



Some people come for moral support (yeah Jessa?!)



One more time before curfew strikes
(this spot behind the Cannon Activities Center had been
our rehearsal area since way bac
k when....)






For this year's culture night, we performed another round of
Tinikling and introduced the BYUH crowd with another bird dance from the Philippines, Lapay Bantique.






It has been another Culture Night. Our "stint" here in BYU-H is almost over and we will surely miss these events. When its time to move on, you just can't help but hope and pray that those you leave behind continue to share the Filipino culture to the world - with love and passion.


Ckaz and I - one last performance
(I can't believe we're veterans now!)

3 comments:

  1. ouch, ouch, ouch! My last Culture Night (and forever will be.. huhuhu!) was Fall 2006 (Pandanggo sa ilaw)... I wanted to join last year but.. long story... and this year, I wanted to join, too, (specifically for the tinikling dance) but (aah, excuses!)... my mobility (and pull of gravity) is not as good as before anymore.. hahaha!!! (at least not until in the next 3 months)...

    Good job, guys! Everything was performed really well, especially the tinikling.. :) I'm proud to be pinoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Posting Chica! I was surprised to see my picture!LOL. I was wondering what you guys were dancing. I bet it was great! Oh I do miss the performance night but definitely not the practices!LOL...love u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the time we did Pandanggo was before my mission Fall 2002, wow! that was ages ago!

    ReplyDelete