3/16/09

THE HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE

So in my whole university athletics history, I have never been proud of my basketball team - for so many reasons. For one, I am not very athletic myself. Second, they just don't play well enough to be worth cheering for. My high school basketball team...hmmm...i can't remember anything remarkable. LOL! Except for those two guys in my class Aries Literato and Ryan Pimentel (and his brother Reymer). Then when I went to the University of the Philippines for college, oh please. There was this once season when we thought they were gonna nail it because their standing was like 7-1 or something, but well they never did. Our dance team was awesome though, and the UP Pep Squad has an awesome reputation! Don't get me wrong though. I am fan of athletic events. I do watch. My brother plays basketball for his school and he is really good!


And then I transferred to BYUH. When I was still a student, I seldom watched. If I go, its probably just because Carl wanted me to watch the game with him. Maybe because I was so tired of having "loser" basketball teams. BYUH Seasiders didn't impress me. Then 2009 came...everything changed! All of a sudden I was present at almost all Seasider homecourt ball games. I even wore either a BYUH Seasider shirt or a red shirt. I even brought home a Seasider pom pom. And most of all - Lo and Behold! I was freaking cheering and yelling and heckling for the team! From the unimpressed spectator - I evolved into a crazy fan.


Carl and I on BYU-H vs. Chaminade, Winter 2008



Cheering for the Seasiders!!!



Carl and I on BYU-H vs. Humboldt (98-84), NCAA II West Sub-Regional


Couple of reasons, i guess. First, I was really a fan of basketball from the beginning. I just didn't have a team to be really proud of. But as I saw how the Seasiders played their way up to this year's NCAA Championship, I was amazed - the team has never played a season like this before.





Heated Ballgame - BYU-H vs. Humboldt




BYU-H wins over Humboldt on NCAA II Sub-Regional Opening Round



And the Filipino crowd went crazy!!!



And we are ready for NCAA's Elite Eight!


Second, I feel really proud of the team and my country. Everytime JR Buensuceso scores, we all stand up and raise the Philippine flag. JR is a California-raised Filipino kid and was recruited by the university to play for the Seasiders. He actually reminds me of University of East's Paul Artadi! JR is not the tallest player, but it always appears to me that he is very smart in the court. Carl agrees. I couldn't be more proud of this kid. And by the way, he never fails to thank the club for all our support to all his games - which makes me prouder because he is not ashamed of his heritage!


Our very own #21 JR Buensuceso on the Freethrow Line


Proud to be Pinoy!!!


Third, for a small moment, each basketball game gives me a peek on how the world unites for a single cause. We all love Lucas Alvez from Brazil. We all go crazy over Jet Chang from Taiwan. We all cheer for Trenson Akana from Moloka'i, Hawaii. We all holler for AJ Rilley from Utah. We are thrilled with Marques Whippy from Fiji. We are all amazed with JR Buensuceso - the Filipino boy from California.



Seasiders Cut Down LumberJacks on Opening Round

All for #23 Jet Chang




#10 Trenson Akana's crazy crowd



Larry and Lois - All Smiles



BYU-H President Steve Wheelright and Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hanneman talks proudly of our BOYS!




If only all the world's battles are like a Seasider Ballgame - we could definitely win with a homecourt advantage!

3 comments:

  1. haha..I totally agree.and I am kind of the same I am not really fond of basketball but Nate is a big sports freak.

    But this year our seasider basketball team impress me.They are really awesome in the court.Love all the moves of number 23 and Lucas, but of course I cheer for our very own JR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun post. We haven't gone to any of the games yet but we're going tomorrow night. I hope it's as good as the last few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're the opposite! I'm the one who's crazy about basketball games and Micah just doesn't like them!
    Oh Good ol' days in hawaii. Do they still do the free ice cream when BYUH score goes up to a hundred or so?
    And Oh! Did Lucas join the Church? He was being taught when I was there. (we was supposed to be in the 10th ward..my ward!)
    Yeay for the Filipino player. Is he still single?LOL

    ReplyDelete