7/14/11

the story behind "One Courageous Day..."

You guys have probably seen the album One Courageous Day in my Facebook page. So here's the story behind the photoshoot...

Early last month, I received an email from BYU's International Services that the Women's Resource Services are  looking for some sort of "models" for their "I am Beautiful Because..." campaign. So basically, you finish the sentence "I am beautiful because..." and if they like your statement, they give you a free photoshoot, and in return they use your headshots and portraits for their campaign (i.e., website, ads, posters, book). It was pretty interesting because, traditionally a person has to be seen first (hence, the term go-see for aspiring models) before they are chosen for a particular job. But for this "gig" they base their decision solely on your perspective about beauty. Actually, the deadline was past due... but they sort of extended it to get more responses. I haven't even heard about the thing until I received the email. So, I responded...

I always believed that true beauty is skin-deep. It is something that transcends Hollywood - that sort of thing. I had my time with the beauty pageants back in the day... it was no way a big time stint, but it makes you feel the pressure of keeping up with appearances and all the superficiality. I have nothing against them though, I still am a follower of pageants, but the part that I always look forward to is the brain picking portion - I mean, what use is your fair skin, long legs, and tiny waist if you don't know anything beyond your beauty regimen or your exercise routine?! After high school, I stopped joining pageants - because I don't meet stricter height requirements and I wanted to focus with school anyway. And I am so glad I did...

I strongly believe being beautiful is a matter of perspective. Mind over matter... Personally, I have had enough people telling me how much weight I have gained since graduating from high school, or since I moved to Hawaii, or since I got married... But I still feel gorgeous you know, with all humility. Because the weight gain is something that I have come to understand as a part of biological make-up, I can only do so much about it. Carl always tells me how much he enjoys hugging me... because there is actually something to hug in me... Whenever he tells me that, I feel very, very special and BEAUTIFUL. One of my pet peeve is tanning/bleaching/whitening. I mean, what is wrong with your color?! Healthy skin is beautiful skin... not pale, not tan. Love your color people - I know I love mine :) There is so much about ourselves that make us beautiful, and it is more than our size or shape or color... it's our soul, our principles, our divine worth...

So a couple weeks ago, I got another email, now from BYU Women's Resource Services, inviting me for a 20-minute photoshoot... I couldn't be happier, and honored :)


The full article about my response and the rest of the photos can be found in the WRS website, and of course in my Facebook album.

Stay beautiful everyone :)

P.S. Brooke Schultz is an awesome photographer, a really nice person. Check out her photo blog and see for yourselves how talented she is

1 comment: