7/9/11

food, fairs, and fireworks

Before I even start talking about what we did for the 4th of July holiday, I am just gonna say how much Carl and I are thankful for America. Carl's been here for eight years now (including his mission), and I have been here for a little over five. Uncle Sam has definitely blessed our lives and the lives of our families, and while being non-citizens have its downsides we are still grateful that we are able to live here and work toward our dreams. It is absolutely a life changing experience to live in the land of free, and the home of the brave! To America, thanks for letting us stay :)

So on to our 4th of July Weekend...

We spent most of our weekend in Provo - at the Freedom Days County Fair. Being there was so reminiscent of strolling through town fairs during fiestas in the Philippines! There was so much food and fun and eye candy!!! We decided to do some food tripping instead of going on the rides. At first I wanted to try one of the rides, but when I learned that 1 ticket costs $5, I decided I'd spend that on food instead. So on the first day we went there (July 2nd), I bought corn on the cob. I know I can make this one at home, but they had a fancy corn roaster, and I haven't had corn on the cob from a street vendor for FIVE LONG YEARS!!! Carl ended up with a Carne Asada Burrito. He said it was really good... Carl's been having an affinity with Mexican food lately. We also tried a non-alcoholic colada, i forgot the flavor but its one of the mango/peach/orange combination.

Reunited with my all-time favorite MAIS!!!

The burrito is almost all gone!
(Thanks for holding my food while I took your picture!)

 After feeding ourselves, we headed to the open field in front of the Provo temple to watch the fireworks. The Stadium of Fire concert was ongoing at the football stadium on the night of July 2nd, but the cheapest ticket was still not affordable, so like many others we just waited for the fireworks from outside, which was probably a better idea viewing-wise. The fireworks were great, but both Carl and I thought we've seen the likes of those before. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful sight!


Happy Independence Day, America!!!


The fair was closed on the 3rd because it was a Sunday, but we came back on the 4th before the day ended to grab some more food!!! It was actually a fun weekend - and after being in the States for quite a while... I think the holiday is starting to grow on us!

2 comments:

  1. Looks fun. Where are you guys in utah? We are moving there next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. It looks like you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete