3/5/14

Un-hibernating

We've been very busy... while we've been stuck in the apartment most of the time because of freezing temperatures outside, we're still feeling how fast time flies and we can barely catch up.

Lorenz has slowly learned to make little steps. He's constantly fascinated with his balls and his little basketball ring is being put to good use. He is still crazy about books, and he now knows when a book is upside down. He loves his playtime with Carl, which, is very early in the morning. Although we think he's transitioning now. He used to wake up at around 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning, drinks 4 ounces of milk, play with Carl, drink another 4 ounces of milk at 6:00 then goes back to sleep for another 2 hours. Now, he wakes up at around 6:30 (yes, the morning the playtime with dad is now a thing of the past), drinks his milk and goes back to sleep and wakes up at around 9:30. That means his morning nap is a thing of the past too. He still takes naps in the afternoon though, sometimes 2 to 3 hours. We can't wait for the weather to get warmer so we can go outside and play. Our apartment has gotten smaller for Lorenz's liking, especially now that he's starting to walk.



As for me, I am swamped with work. I need to get my qualifying exam requirements done and I have a couple of proposals to wrap up in preparation for a family studies conference in Maryland come November. I used to be able to get a lot done even during the day because Lorenz naps in the morning and in the afternoon. Also, he used to be content with playing in his little corner in my office while I work. But now, he's gone all curious and want to be on my lap as soon as I turn my computer on. He now DEMANDS an active playmate so I can't just put him on his playpen like I used to. Sometimes, I feel really bad about me working... mommy guilt I guess. One time, he just sat on the other side of the closed door and kept "knocking" until he cried out of frustration because I wouldn't come out. This was even when Carl was playing with him in the living room. It is also frustrating on my side, and it breaks my heart to choose work/school over him on some occasions. If only my choices were easier. I have a year and a half left in school. That means I'm almost done with school "for good", but that also means I have so much stuff to get done in the next 15 months. But, we're almost there - almost.

Carl has a lighter load at work now, by that I mean it's not as intense as it was when he did mormon.org. His tasks are a little bit different now. On the side, he's got more time for his hobbies. Their band, Postcard Rail, had a couple of performances the past couple of weeks. They have a new vocalist since Stephanie has left for her mission. They don't have new compositions right now, but they have great covers and their new vocalist Marie has an amazing voice and has great showmanship - she's like a concert in a little body. Carl's gotten more confident too, up on stage. And he just got a new bass which he is all giddy about!


As a family, we've tried a couple of things together. Lorenz has been good when eating out. We took him with us on our Valentine's date at Red Lobster and he was quite cooperative he let us finish our meal. I mean, he's eating the same kind food we're having so he's having a blast too. We took him to the cinemas, for the first time, so we can watch the much talked about Frozen... but we decided to leave half-way through the movie out of respect for the other viewers. We asked for a refund which the cinema granted and even thanked us for our courtesy. We tried it again a couple of weeks later, we watched the Lego Movie and he was better and we actually finished the whole movie - no interruptions! Yay for us! We also went snow tubing at Soldier Hollow in Midway. It was really fun... of course we didn't bring Lorenz with us up top and we took turns with my sister in law and her husband watching Lorenz, but they had "baby" tubes at the bottom of the hill with a little bumpy sliding area for the little ones and Lorenz absolutely loved it. We also visited the Ice Castles, also in Midway. It was really cool especially at night because the ice sculptures were lit up it felt magical. We were just a little bummed out because their "Frozen" display with Olaf in it was not there anymore. We asked what happened to the display and one of the "builders" told us the display got ruined because of a sprinkler accident - like Olaf got wet and re-froze disfigured. Yeah, bummer. But it was fun overall!


No comments:

Post a Comment