4/12/12

one step closer

I started school in 1991 - I was 4 years old turning 5. My mom always told people how independent I was - never cried a single tear when they dropped me off my first day of school. I've loved school. It was like I was born and raised in the school system. My parents met in school when they were just barely starting their careers as professors. During my growing up years, I spent a lot of my time in school. Somehow, it rubbed on me... I've been a PROFESSIONAL STUDENT for 20 years -  and I am not quite done yet.

My masters program is almost done. I officially graduate in June 2012. Supposedly, I will graduate by the end of April. But I didn't make the deadlines for my thesis. My thesis is in the works all right - but graduate school has, in the words of my advisor, "ridiculous deadlines." I've spent countless hours reading, writing, reading, and writing again. I've had a couple of liters of soda and a couple of bags of doritos, wheat thins, and pita chips. I've almost memorized countless songs from my favorite Youtube playlists. In the end, I'll probably need a full week of sleeping (though I know that's quite impossible) to make up for the nights I didn't sleep.

And finally, I am defending my thesis on Monday, the 16th. It has been a crazy ride. I've learned a lot, about my field, my research interest, and my passion for cross-cultural understanding. Being in school is not as bad as it sounds. I believe it pays off somehow - in many different ways. As for me, I realized that I wanted to pursue the same career path my parents took almost 30 years ago. I want to be a professor too. I've seen how my parents changed the lives of young people whom they mentored. I've also seen how their profession has influenced the kind of life I have right now... And so I'd like to do that too - influence the lives of young people for good.

I am now one big step closer to that dream. I'll be staying in school for another three years - to earn my doctorate - just like my parents did. I know its going to be hard. I was a teenager when my parents earned their PhDs. It was old school then, and having your own electronic typewriter with automatic eraser was a lifesaver. Cut and paste was a literal thing. It was a lot of hard work and countless sleepless nights and sacrificial weekends. I've seen it first hand. So why am I doing it? Because I know it will pay off somehow.

I will have to confess that one of the few things I know I am really good at is being in school. I tried corporate life but it wasn't for me. I tried to juice out my brain with business ideas, but I simply couldn't execute. My mom always reminded me to focus on my strengths - and that's what I am going to do. What about family life? I think teaching is one of the most family-friendly careers out there. I am a product of it. As a child, my schedule was always in sync with my parents. Of course, there are trade-offs. But in the end, as I reflect on my own life, the rewards of having a career in the academe outweighs its costs.

So there - I am one big step closer to becoming the professor that I wish to become. And Carl is very supportive. Carl has his dreams too, and he is working hard to pursue those - for himself and for our family ... and I will be there for him too. After all, it takes two to tango.

No comments:

Post a Comment